I’ve had my fair share of defining moments since moving to Chicago. You know, the situations that propel you fully into Thought-Catalog mode and make you refer to yourself as “a real person” (finally!). But among the formative experiences I’ve collected to date, one always stands out: the time I learned about eyebrow threading, a painless hair removal technique that uses a cotton thread.
As someone who simply can’t get away with a half-hearted tweezing job (insert Frida Khalo joke), I’ve bounced between waxing and DIY hair removal attempts for longer than I’d care to calculate. But soon after arriving in Chicago, I discovered an incredible alternative at the aptly named Lakeview Threading Salon.
The appeal of Lakeview Threading is fairly straightforward. A typical first visit goes something like this:
- Walk into their endearingly unpretentious storefront.
- Meet Pratima – the kindest, most ease-inducing woman in the world.
- Ask her “So, exactly what is threading?”
- Retain uncertainty re: everything to do with threading, but decide to trust it since Pratima’s so nice and their Yelp reviews rival Alinea.
- Lay down for 10 minutes while the elusive process takes place.
- Pay $10.
- Leave the salon slightly confused about what just happened, but you feel like a new human so WHO CARES.
This process repeated itself during my first, second and probably fifth visits to Lakeview Threading. But, after making bi-monthly trips there for nearly a year, I can say the following with 100% confidence: I’ll never get my eyebrows waxed again. Threading lasts twice as long and as an added bonus, I don’t get the same post-op redness I used to dread with the ol’ wax-on, wax-off.
The challenge: try Lakeview Threading for yourself. If you don’t feel the same, I’ll personally dress like Frida Khalo for a week – unibrow included.
Lakeview Threading Salon, 426 West Belmont Avenue (at Sheridan Road). For more information call 773-348-0250.
Read more on My Daily Find Chicago: